Facts About New Zealand That’ll Blow Your Mind – Page 3.
45. From 1867 to 1927, the government planed ahead for shipwrecks by building supply-filled huts on remote islands.
46. There is a clock in Dunedin which has been running since 1864, despite never having been wound since it was made.
47. Gisborne airport has train tracks running across the middle of the runway. Quite often, trains and planes have to stop until one moves out of the way.
48. NZ had a 58% casualty rate in World War I.
49. Kiwifruit were originally called Chinese gooseberries.
50. New Zealand is one of the only countries to have two national anthems- God Save The Queen and God Defend New Zealand.
51. Ninety Mile Beach is actually only 90 kilometres long.
52. Moa birds were native to NZ, but are now extinct. They were 12 feet tall and weighed about 230kg.
53. The man who pioneered plastic surgery, Harold Gillies, was a Kiwi.
54. As was Baron Ernest Rutherford, who was the first man to split an atom. He also discovered (and named) the proton.
55. New Zealand is the only country in the world where all the highest positions have been simultaneously held by women: In 2006, the Queen, the Governor-General, the PM, the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the Chief Justice were all women.
56. The national sport of NZ is rugby union.
57. There are no nuclear power stations in New Zealand.
58. In 2008, Henry the tuatara became a father for the first time at the age of 111. (A tuatara is a reptile native to New Zealand.)
59. New Zealand is the only country with the right to put Hobbit-related images on its currency.
60. New Zealand was the last habitable land mass to be populated.
61. Three quarters of New Zealanders living overseas are in Australia.
62. 94% of all prisoners in NZ are male.63. The only land mammals native to NZ are bats. The rest were introduced by Maoris and Europeans.64. In 2007, the NZ courts banned a couple from naming their child 4Real. In the end they named him Superman.
65. New Zealand produces 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese each year per person.
66. Earlier this year, after losing a poker bet, a New Zealand man legally changed his name to Full Metal Havok More Sexy N Intelligent Than Spock And All The Superheroes Combined With Frostnova. The 99-character name was almost denied because the legal limit is 100 characters.
67. NZ has banned all television advertising on Good Friday, Easter Sunday, ANZAC Day, and Christmas Day.
68. Niue, a self-governed island of NZ, has images of Pokemon on its legal tender coins. There is also a limited collection of coins with images from the Star Wars films.
69. There are more vending machines in Japan than there are people in New Zealand.